Friday, January 14, 2011

Trompe L'oeil Grandfather Clock

Just checking in.  Although I'm standing dangerously close to the edge, I wanted you all to know I haven't fallen off the face of the earth.  My problem?  It's cold.  I mean really, really cold.  And, I'm right in the middle of a wood project that I can't get outside to cut.

I considered bringing it into the house to do it but my husband thought better of it.  Bah humbug.

So, I'm going where I have never gone before by giving you all a little glimpse of what I'm working on before it's done.


Wrinkles and coffee stains courtesy Lindy



I spotted this adorable clock in the February issue of County Living. Awesome issue, by the way.  Anyway, it got me thinking I needed one.  As great as this one was (and at a decent price, I might add)-- it just wasn't  exactly what I wanted, though.


I was thinking something a little taller, less ornate, in a different color and for a lot less money.  Hmmm, now I'm wondering what I saw in that old Pier 1 version after all...

I decided to make my own and found these pictures on the internet while looking for inspiration. 
Pretty, but too ornate.

Way too ornate.

Too plain. 


And then I found this one. Gorgeous.

and this one...


Perfect.  

Here's where I am on mine.  I'm working on the pattern. 




And with a $10 clock from Dollar General, a free panel of exterior beadboard and a quart of paint (which I haven't picked out yet) I will have an 18" taller, just the right color, perfect for my space, grander, grandfather clock all my own.  

Just give me a couple of days...

*^*^*^*^*^*

HELP!!!

One more thing.  I haven't been able to "follow" anyone in a while.  When I go through the steps, I get a message that I am a follower but when I go back and check, I'm not.  I've tried over and over. (What's the definition for insanity? Something about doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result?)  Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on this -- I am super technically challenged...


If you enjoyed this post (and, gosh, I hope you did) please BECOME A FOLLOWER!

20 comments:

  1. First, I have had that issue before, but when I went back to follow, all was ok, so I am no help there. Second OOOOHHH!! That clock is going to be awesome and I love the wrinkly coffee stained page!LOL! Well loved..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be fabulous! I can hardly wait to see it. I don't know about the follower issue, do they perhaps limit it to a certain number of people that you can follow??? Please let us know if and how you get it resolved. Hope it warms up a bit for you weather-wise.(-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project! I can hardly wait to see it. I haven't had the follower issue, but let us know what you discover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seen that in the Country Living issue.

    I will be watching to see your completed project.

    Make me the large carboard one

    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly can't wait to see your clock! I love this idea! I have a page in my idea files of a hot pink grandfather clock painted directly onto the wall. It's just the silhouette but it's so cool and modern looking. Not really my thing but I LOVE the concept. Makes you wonder what else you could paint! But your "skinny" clock is going to look amazing! I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooooh! I love your design! I can't wait to see it. This is such a cool concept- the really ornate one would look cute in a little girl's "princess"room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw that clock in the magazine as well. I like the one you're planning much better and can't wait to see the result.

    The only time I've had trouble "following" is when I've used the Firefox browser. So I tend to stick with Internet Explorer when I'm checking out blogs. One other possibility, is you have to make sure you're "signed in" when you go back to check and see if you're a follower. Additionally, sometimes my photo doesn't show up on the person's following widget but when I check my "reading list" on my blogger dashboard, all of the blogs I've followed are there. Was that helpful at all or just more confusing--ha ha. I hope you get it all worked out...let us know. Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so waiting for this! You are such a genius! I have exactly the place for one of these and a new jigsaw. The only thing I lack is painting skills... I just wanted to know if you saw this post, it reminded me of you! :) Hugs, Kim
    http://makeminebeautiful.blogspot.com/2011/01/repair-hole-in-your-lampshade-with-bird.html

    As for the following thing, I've noticed that on blogs I'm following my photo doesn't come up, when I hit follow it says I am already. If you want to "see" your photo you can sign in again with the friend connect page, then you will see your photo during that session. I've kind of given up trying to figure out all of the ins & outs of blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That clock is gonna be gorgeous...I can't wait to see it...and techinally...yeah? I am NO help...LIKE NO help! Good luck figuring it out~ Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see it. You are so darn talented!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lindy, The clock will be fabulous! You are one very talented lady.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great idea - and I am sure it will look fabulous when finished! I'm also pleased to tell you I just became you follower number 1,000, how cool is that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can not wait to see it when it is done!!! I LOVE the Pier One version and ours is out of it. Just got a coupon in the mail though so hoping they get back n so I can get it for $80.

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol..what a cool idea actually..nice way for me to have a mora clock while I wait for us to get around to trying to make one...I'm gonna have to add this to my to do list :0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lindy you are so amazing. I am sure it will look spectacular when you are finished. Hope it warms up where you are.
    Hugs~ Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my- this puts Pier 1's "clock" to shame!!! Yours will come out beautifully, I'm sure.
    Re: your little issue with following- If you are using Reader and not having the blog show up there- I have had the same issue. There is a glitch in their program- you click to follow someone on their GFC (google friend connect) and expect for their blog listing to show up, but it doesn't. I have had to go in and add them as a subscription. If you are clicking on their GFC and not showing up in THEIR following list, then I don't know what the problem is! I had found some really neat blogs and thought they had been added in to my Reader, only to find out that they hadn't shown up. I still don't remember who they were and may never find them again. :-(
    Good luck with your clock project AND your following issue! ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  17. I drooled over that clock today when I picked up the magazine! You are brilliant!!!! Can't wait to see the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sure it will look outstanding:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea! I love the winter and the snow but it really is putting a damper on my DIY projects too. To have to get the woodstove in the barn going and the propane heater just to feel my fingers it's probably not a good idea to use a tablesaw.
    I have plenty to keep me busy in the kitchen though, have been cooking up a storm. Come check out some of my recipes, wish I could send you some of this food..no more space in the fridge..HEY I can put it in the barn!

    Can't wait to see your grandpop clock standing tall!

    ReplyDelete

I'm excited you're leaving a comment. I can't wait to read it...L.