Monday, August 30, 2010

Pretty Little Pillow

I filed this idea for a pillow away in my head a while ago.  




Oh man, if you're an idea – you DO NOT want 
to be filed in my head.  All sorts of things 
could happen to you there.  
You could languish, forever, waiting to be used.  
You could fade with time, or get lost completely...

I know it happens to all of us but it happens to me a lot!

But finally, years after I first had this idea I remembered it,
  I'm done.  Did it today.  
And I must say I'm pleased. 
 





Here’s how it’s done...

  • Remove the flowers from the stems of silk flowers.  I think just about any kind will work.  I used two sizes – the main petals and a smaller one that helps cover the hole in the larger one and adds some dimension to the flowers.



    • Cut 2 pieces of fabric 12”x18” for the front and back of the pillow.
    • Mark where you want to stitch your petals.  I press my lines onto the fabric with an iron or you can use a marker.




    • Pin and stitch petals in place. You could use fabric glue instead.  I wanted to be able to see my stitching on this one.



    • Pinning right sides together, stitch around the outside edge of pillow 1/2” from edge leaving an opening to stuff pillow.
    • Clip corners and turn pillow.
    • Stuff pillow and stitch opening closed.










    • I'm in the mood for some new pillows 
      (in lieu of new upholstery) in the  living room
        -- it's time for a change. I'll be digging through some old fabric I have to see what else I can come up with.

      *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
      *To see the parties I link to and to join in the fun, CLICK HERE!
       


    If you enjoyed this post (and, gosh, I hope you did) please BECOME A FOLLOWER!

    29 comments:

    1. What a cute pillow! You are so creative!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Soooo very pretty...I need to get my machine out and give this a try.

      Blessings,
      Linda

      ReplyDelete
    3. What a cute pillow! I would never have thought that you could sew the petals on. The possibilities are endless! :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. Wow, that's an awesome idea! Very cute. Did you upholster your armchair in the first picture? I'm loving that combination of fabric and fringe (if that is what you call the ornate stuff around the cushion). I'm going to TRY to upholster a rocking chair and I might steal that look.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I have a thing for pillows and that one is great. I like that it is different.

      ReplyDelete
    6. The pillow is beautiful!
      I can do that!
      I'll bet different petals would look awesome, too!
      What a lovely chair, too!
      Did you faux zebra paint the screen, too?
      Thank you for the idea--which will probably get mixed in will all my other ideas till it pops out of my brain one day in the form of a pillow similar to yours!
      Blessings to you as you make your home!
      ~me

      ReplyDelete
    7. That is just precious! I love it & I think I will also have to pull out the old machine. Love the fabric too.
      smiles, alice

      ReplyDelete
    8. Thank you for the great tutorial! I am soooo going to copy this! :) Darling!!!

      ~Liz

      ReplyDelete
    9. The pillow is beautiful! I love the fabric you chose too!

      Can I enter the give away over and over and over? lol

      Lou Cinda :)

      ReplyDelete
    10. What a cleaver idea and I love the way it looks in the room. Sewing with silk flowers...a totally new concept for me and a super exciting one.(-: Can't wait to see what you will do next.

      ReplyDelete
    11. I have the same problems with ideas in my head - cute pillow!

      Susan,
      http://entertainexchange.blogspot.com/
      Party and Entertaining Inspiration

      ReplyDelete
    12. Thanks for visiting my blog. I love this pillow. I want to try making one. So cute!!! Love & blessings from NC!

      ReplyDelete
    13. Great pillow! Now I wonder if I just glued some flowers on a plain pillow, instead of breaking out the sewing machine, would work? I must try. I'll let you know how it all works out. I know, I know, I'm lazy.

      Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving the nice note regarding my daughter's room. I love nice notes!

      Take care,

      Lisa

      ReplyDelete
    14. P.S. Totally awesome blog, I'm a follower now.

      ReplyDelete
    15. Thanks for your sweet comment on my gift box bows! That was pretty cool! I hadn't even entered it into a link party yet!! I love this pillow! I made (MADE) my hubby look at your pillow post! BTW he loved your iced tea painting too! :)

      ReplyDelete
    16. Lindy, you've come up with another winnner! Love your pillow! Regards, Sheilla

      ReplyDelete
    17. great pillow! thanks for the contest!
      annemolino at hotmail dot com

      ReplyDelete
    18. Awww, I love this sweet little pillow! I can definitely relate to the "filing ideas in my head" never to be seen or heard from again!
      Great job!

      ReplyDelete
    19. Oh wow, this is so clever! It must be awesome being you! How can you stand yourself?

      I will definitely be doing this because I'm in the process of making couch pillows, and this looks so pretty. Thanks!
      Eve

      ReplyDelete
    20. Hi. Love this pillow!!! I may have to try this one.
      Gorgeous!
      ~ Julie

      ReplyDelete
    21. Love it! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

      ReplyDelete
    22. This is really clever and cute!! I'm trying to get inspiration for lots of bed pillows I will be making for my daughters bed.
      Visiting from justsewsassy.com

      ReplyDelete
    23. That is a pretty little pillow. Love it. (Ideas need to be careful around me, too! lol)

      ReplyDelete
    24. Wonderful, job, girl. You're on a roll--I hope those ideas keep coming out in this beautiful form.

      ReplyDelete
    25. Flutter pillows are big right now, aren't they. This is cute two favorites flutter pillow and burlap.

      ReplyDelete
    26. Hmmm. I have lots of pillows and lots of silks. Now I just need to figure out which silks I'm willing to sacrifice to a higher calling. ;)

      Blessings,
      Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
      http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete

    I'm excited you're leaving a comment. I can't wait to read it...L.