Saturday, July 23, 2011

Upcycled Laundry/Vegetable/Grocery BAG


I've had my grandson for the last couple of weeks so I've "been away".  He's headed home today and has some dirty clothes to take with him so we decided to do this little project together before he left.
 


What could have been a twenty minute project, if not for Noah's "help", turned into a good forty-five-er... but where's the fun in fast? 


We upcycled an old sweatshirt into a bag that he'll use for his dirty clothes.  The same bag could be used for toys, veggies or groceries as well.  


I folded the shirt in half and free-handed the pattern with a marker.


Noah supervised the cutting out of the bag.





I cut slits for ventilation.  


For the fun monogram I used yarn and a zig-zag stitch.





The stitching around the outside was done in the same blue as the yarn. I used a short stitch, for strength, 1/4 inch from the edge.


This type of fabric won't fray so there's no need to finish the edges...



Cute, and free, and useful.  


***
I'll be hooking up here...


If you enjoyed this post (and, gosh, I hope you did) please BECOME A FOLLOWER!

23 comments:

  1. Cute! I would have just done his laundry, lol!

    Sue
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! And so nice that you got to do it together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just wondering where you've been! Glad to see that you are back with another cute project! What a perfect bag for smelly boy clothes...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea...air those clothes out! When my son went away to summer camp I used to buy him a banged up old suitcase and a bunch of garage sale clothes and when he was done camping we threw it all away because it was SOOO AWFUL! lol That's just sad, isn't it? I guess I wasn't GREEN back then but the inside of that smoldering suitcase was! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun way to reuse an old sweatshirt! I love that you don't have to finish the edges too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute upcycle, but having him with you is just the greatest reason not to blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you COULD have done his laundry... but then you have to work,This was fun! AND... he got to make some memories with Gramma/Nana/________(fill in the blank)and a cool take home bag!
    Love it! I may do this later...
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! I want to make one for my pantry.
    Thanks for sharing. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea! Had my two of my grandkids for three weeks and another one for two weeks. One still coming! Ha!
    Too many clothes to take home dirty...bag would have had to be huge!! So I did them up!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad your back. I'm pulling all those old sweatshirts back out of the bag. I look at them differently now. Great idea. Debi

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adorable DIY project! Thank you so much for sharing.

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute and THRIFTY idea...thanks so much for sharing it.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that its pretty much free, GREEN and a fun project to do!!!

    Come link this up at my woot woot wednesdays!
    www.tootsiewootsieboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun project! Great idea! Thanks so much for sharing:)
    Love your creative space..hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice... I like the shade of blue.
    And slits for ventilation :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. In the first picture I thought the words said "nasty" on it... I would totally write that on my laundry bag...

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a great idea. Its so fun that you got to do this with your grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is such a great idea, very useful and handy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea! I love the monogram!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is an awesome idea. I would love to feature this on Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle. Feel free to stop bye and grab a featured button. Thanks!

    http://reuseandupcycle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I'm excited you're leaving a comment. I can't wait to read it...L.