Thursday, July 29, 2010

Making An Entry Where There Isn't One...

What do you call it?  entrance?  entry hall?  foyer?  for-your?  I call it "necessary".   I like having some kind of defined entry area into a house, but sadly, not every house has one.  That would be true in my house and, dang it, it was really bothering me.  

You know how sometimes you can just "make one up" using, let's say, a rug, a clever furniture arrangement or something like that?  Didn't happen. I couldn't come up with anything.

Then, I had a light bulb moment...

My mother's going to kill me for showing this picture but I have to show the "before".  This kinda cruddy (sorry, Mom)  all wood bookcase was in my mothers garage.  Clearly she needed it, but she was very generous and gave it to me anyway.  She always saves the day!

 I secured it to the wall and floor and wrapped it with leftover hardwood flooring.  Then I added trim to the front, top, and bottom, and also added doors with glass.  I got the column when I laid down in front of my neighbor as he was taking it out to the trash.  The bottom of the column was rotten so I cut it off.  
(I hope it didn't hurt much)  











If you've ever tried to cut off a super thick, made out of hard old wood, ROUND column with a circular saw in need of a blade change, then you know what I'm talking about when I say...WOW.  Never tried it?  Don't.  

I stacked a wooden plate and plaque from the craft store to make the new base and a little fabric trim to cover where it all (almost) came together.  I just painted the trim the same as everything else.  It looks kinda cool and completely covers the ragged edge left by the dull.....uh.....blade.







These little jewels came from Home Interiors a million
years ago and I will never stop loving them.  


Here's a look down the hall...



The phone is original to the house and still works perfectly!  When it rings you can hear it down the street!!!


And here are some pictures of the front door and porch.




I'm linking this up to Kelly's link party



*To see the parties I link to and to join in the fun, CLICK HERE!

If you enjoyed this post (and, gosh, I hope you did) please BECOME A FOLLOWER!!

53 comments:

  1. GENIUS!!!!
    GOTTA share this on Facebook!

    :-)

    Layla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! What a beautiful entrance and how creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw this on Twitter via Lettered Cottage. Now this is recycling at it's best.

    Great job.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! That looks fantastic!! I'm with you on the dull blade thing.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an amazing job! I love it! Thanks for sharing too Layla :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw this on twitter form the lettered cottage. This is AMAZING. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were just talking about doing this yesterday!! THank you for the pictures because it gives us a wonderful visual now. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a marvelous solution! and very, very clever! ::Jill

    ReplyDelete
  9. okay, you've raised the bar! talk about using what you have! very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! I've seen something similar before, but I love all the elements you pulled together. Really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like it was always there! Love it!
    Deanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant! Done so tastefully!!! It's amazing what a little creativity can do! Very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw this via the Facebook post by Lettered Cottage...holy moly! You're amazing! I would have never in a million years thought of that! Way to go, it looks gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow wow wow!!! You are brilliant! It turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just three words.... Fan Tas Tic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing transformation! Just goes to show when we want something bad enough we creative people find a way to make it happen. And you succeeded brilliantly!! (found you via the Lettered Cottage).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, that is amazing!! It looks fantastic. So very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stumbled over here from The Lettered Cottage...LOVE IT!!! I have the same problem! Thanks so much for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is exactly what I have been wanting to do to "seperate" my living room from the eat in kitchen. I knew it would take a regular bookshelf to do the job, but I could not figure out the rest!!!! So many questions...how did you secure it to the floor and wall? did you just buy the glass cabinets or have those made?

    ReplyDelete
  20. very clever! and if Layla likes it you know you "done good"
    Nice to meet you :)
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome Job. I would never have guessed that didn't just come with the house. Nor would I have thought the final result started with that lonely bookcase. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is awesome...you took that old bookshelf and turned it into a wonderful foyer! Wow..I am totally impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  23. so cute and clever!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome, I need to do this too! Very creative and looks classic.
    This is my first visit, come on over and visit me soon. There's a giveaway on.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Anonymous,
    I wasn't able to respond to your questions (no reply info) but please email me I will try to answer your questions....
    L.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've thought about this but it would require totally reconfiguring our built-in bookshelves and I thinkt the hubs would have a HEART ATTACK! Will have to start thinking on this one...

    Melissa
    www.houseography.net

    ReplyDelete
  27. Holy moly! I am impressed!!! What a great transformation.

    Tamra

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing post! You outdid yourself. Could you move in next door to me and come over to my house. I have no entry either, ugh!


    Kara
    http://vivrelejour.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. No stinking way,,, I must say that is probably one of the most creative things I've seen. Just brilliant. I think I'm hooked. Girl, if this is the kidn of stuff you come up with, how can I go wrong. Im your newest follower. I am also VERY new to the blogging world, so if you are kind enough, come on over and check me out. I have nothing quite like this yet, but hey we all start somewhere. !!!

    http://bellabeforeandafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. gen-i-ous! that is fantastic! most men would say, "you can't do THAT with THAT!!!" ha! you showed everyone you can! i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Soooo creative! Way to go, Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your entry is beautiful. I have those same butterfly pictures and they are in my family room right now. I'll never stop loving them either.
    ♥ Joy

    ReplyDelete
  33. APPLUASE ~!!! This is creative genius at its best.. Beautiful entry way display..

    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are so clever and capable!!! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  35. My husband and I built our first two homes, and are about to purchase our first already lived-in home. I love the column, and commiserate with the dull blade. You did a lovely job with what you had on hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Excellent solution...you are very talented to create this wonderful built-in unit!

    ReplyDelete
  37. love your foyer - I love all the hats!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I literally love every single thing about it. I have been saving hats for a while now to hang up our back staircase - seeing yours convinces me how great it will look!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is awesome! I wish I was this crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow, that is awesome! Way to be creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love it! What a difference adding the bookcase and column must have made. I'm your newest follower from Kelly's Korner :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh wow! This is SO nice! I love your sense of style!
    http://hanginloosewiththetuccis.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love your front door and porch! The seating on it and little table is so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Your home is beautiful!! Where in the world did you get that lovely painting over the fireplace?

    ReplyDelete
  45. Really nice job. I love your creativity! And what a beautiful grandfather clock!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Awesome job on the column and shelf. What a sweet mother you have. ;) After seeing it all gussied up like that, I bet she wants it back AND in HER foyer!

    ReplyDelete
  47. That's amazing! I don't have a foyer either, but our living room is way too small to create a little area like that. I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm excited you're leaving a comment. I can't wait to read it...L.